MailingAddress

Welcome to the Post 52 Forum

This is more than just for news and chat. This is a conduit where you can post your stories, photos and even videos that we will then integrate into this website. Your assistance is needed. By the way, make sure to click on the older posts button at the bottom to see more content.

Before you can start posting new content, please send in a request and we'll set you up.

Members: Post Content (requires signup) BlogThis (basic interface) New Members: Sign Up

forum

item2

Monday, February 24, 2014

Dick McCollum on Jack Boyd


My brother and I were in  Troop 21 with Jack Boyd in the late 40;s and early  50’s.

He was  thin and wiry and very devoted to scouting. Sometimes he was riled up but his overall demeanor  was that of calm and equanimity which is a characteristic of a true  leader and that  was what I admired the most as I reflect back to our scouting days in Troop 21 with Jack Boyd.

He was proud of his service in WWII and I think it was the Army, as he loved to  sing  some of the Army songs  such as  “ sound off…”

I  remember one camping  trip  near Fort Worth where we lay on our  sleeping bags looking at the sky as Jack describe the  stars and the constellations . He love this as we learned to do also. The memory of this is clear as day.

Charley and I both became Eagles and spent many nights at Worth Ranch as well as summers at Philmont.

I do not think I  appreciated my own scouting experience then as much as I do now. The life lesions that scouting  gave me proved a marvelous foundation  as we grew into men and faced the  challenges of the real world.

2 comments:

  1. In 1955 I joined Troop 9 at Mathews Methodist Church. Soon, I came into contact with the scout Leader Jack Boyd of Troop 21 over on University Drive at TCU. He was dynamic and a great leader and because of his personal "look" we nicknamed him "Mr. Peepers" after Wally Cox's black & white TV show. Before long, I was in junior high at Rosemont and Mr. Boyd / Mr. Peepers / or Jack as I was allowed to call him was my science teacher. He was an intense, intelligent, leader of young men. Worth Ranch, Jack Boyd, & my scoutmaster Jack Grissom made me the man I am today. In December 2012, I bought the 2R ranch which is only 4 miles as the crow flies from Worth Ranch. A dream come true for a young man now turned 70 years old. Eagle, OA, Indian Dancer, ....scouting made a difference in my life. Eugene (now Gene) Long former troop 9 Longhorn Council 972-351-1851

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete